Thursday 10 January 2013

Defying Gravity


After more than a year in London, we finally got to see Wicked! It is one of the books by Gregory Maguire who made a big hit in the West End and Broadway alike. Well, I wasn't really into the novel since it bored me a lot but the musical was way beyond words. Since I am already quite familiar with its story as I have watched the Aussie version of it, my expectations for the London version were set very high. 

T'was 2 degrees outside at around 6:30 at night.
Our booking was decided like it was an impromptu speech, something ad-lib, something spontaneous. Well, experience will teach many of us that spontaneity is somehow better than a very detailed plan. So we decided the last minute to get a £30 worth ticket on the stalls' fifth and sixth rows only that we are on the leftmost side. Well, it was worth all the leaning sideways and the almost stiff necks as it was one heck of a production. Paying the premium seats at around £70-90 is a bit much. Why pay a 2-weeks worth of groceries when you can have the same pleasure near the stage with them just with a limited view--meaning you do not get to see some characters well on certain scenes because of their blocking on the stage. Also, we found it better than paying for the same amount for balcony seats. You get to see the details of their costumes and also count the numerous times that the lead actresses splatter saliva while singing or delivering their lines...and well of course some bragging rights that you have 'front seat' tickets to a west end show.


We occupied rows E and F. Note that the seats beside Borly and Astrid are £15 more expensive than ours!
Wicked is like a prequel to the Wizard of Oz. It tells the story of the witches of oz, Elphaba and Glinda (pronounced as Ga-linda then Glinda on the latter part of the musical) and how their friendship was forged despite their differences both in career goals and love life. It reveals the story prior to Dorothy and somehow the origins of Scarecrow, Tin Man and Cowardly Lion. In a nutshell, it is about finding your place in society, standing for your beliefs and finding your true love. The show was a total spectacular. It stimulates your senses through the wonderful lighting, crisp music and sound effects, excellent choreography and costume design and on top of everything else, the vocal prowess that the members of cast exhibited. Every song number will make your jaw drop in amazement and if you are a Wicked fan you will have to restrain yourself from singing along while 'Defying Gravity' and 'I'm not that Girl' is being sung by the lead actresses.

The London Cast (wickedthemusical.co.uk)

We learned some fantastic language while watching Wicked and I plan on using them as a pun next time we see each other again for an impromptu musical (Lion King and Les Mis are next in line). 

Glinda: Scandalacious, Moodified, Disrespectation
Elphaba: De-greenify
Fiero: Galinda-fied
Nessa: Encouragerised
Madame Morrible: Linguification, Thrillifying, Decipherate, Braverism

Will I pass the IELTS if I tried using these? Hehe.

and tada, the favourite lines:

Elphaba: Okay let's get this over with, no I'm not seasick, yes I've always been green, No I didn't eat grass as a child.

Glinda: Dearest Momsie and Popsicle


Glinda: Something is wrong. I didn't get my way. I think I have to lie down.


Glinda: Elphie... can I call you Elphie?

Elphaba: It's a little perky
Glinda: And you can call me... Galinda
Glinda: Fiyero and i are getting married!!
Elphaba: He asked you already?
Glinda: No, he doesn’t know yet. Now your turn.
Elphaba: I don’t have anything.
Glinda: Oh come on, and i told you a really good one!!!

Elphaba: I'm the other daughter, Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic.
Madame Morrible: I'm sure you're very bright.
Glinda: Bright? She's phosphorescent!
Glinda: He's distant and moodified, and he's been thinking, which really worries me.
Fiyero: I’ve been thinking
Elphaba: Yes (pause) I’ve heard.
Glinda: You're still riding that old thing?
Elphaba: Yeah, well, we can't all come and go by bubble!


Taken by Borly while in the queue to claim our tickets.
Just fantastic. Feels good to have watched another musical.
Wicked is highly recommended to all musical/stage play fans and I will give it 10/10 stars! Bravissimo! Oops, was I just Galinda-fied?!

For bookings you can go to http://www.wickedthemusical.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment