Thursday 14 February 2013

Not So Beautiful Creatures

As you may have observed of late, a number of books and movies about supernatural creatures have lingered in the bookshop shelves side by side with those with highly sexual themes. Amongst those works which emerged on the top is the Twilight Trilogy and the adult-themed 50 Shades of Grey et al. Now, another of a similar genre is made into a movie, Beautiful Creatures.



Quite an interesting trailer there but like with all not-so-mainstream-movies, the trailer always shows the best scenes and sometimes gives away most of the story. Beautiful Creatures' trailer reminds me of the first Twilight serving.



Story-wise it was a bit predictable though I am not really sure whether the book version have the same flow. As we all know, most book-to-movie productions have some form of adulteration somewhere in the movie. It does not really have a unique storyline as it was like a female version of Twilight, where the female (Lena the Caster) had powers and the male (Ethan) runs after her and vows to love and protect her no matter what. It had the magic of Harry Potter where wall installations move and the accent of the Wild Wild West. I am not even that familiar with the actors and actresses so I really had no expectations about their performance. But I'll give their scriptwriter an A+ for pushing the right buttons. One particular scene I like is when Lena was ranting about her being stressed [about her "claiming" day] and all and Ethan being magically rained on on a sunny day:

Lena: What are you yelling at me for?
Ethan: You want to be a normal human? What do you think that is? We don't have powers to just change things whenever we like. Being human is feeling bad. It's feeling pissed off. It's feeling scared and not being able to do anything about it until you don't feel that way anymore, until you can just see your way out of it. And I yelled at you because I care about you. That's what normal people do when they love each other when one of them is acting like a brat. Now would you please stop raining on me.


Weehaw! That's the part I like best and the other scenes are just blah blah.

Nothing really that interesting and unique about it and if it was not Valentine's day I would have opted for A Good Day to Die Hard.

My friend gave it 3 stars out of 5. Probably it is best to wait for it to be available on Netflix or Lovefilm. I would like to see how Stephenie Meyer's The Host will do on the big screen when it shows at the end of the month.




1 comment:

  1. Great post! http://lameyy.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/tips-for-lenas-style-from-beautiful.html me and my friend have started a new blog!x

    ReplyDelete