Tuesday 15 January 2013

The Injured Deity

Deja vu. Serena had the same injury on the opposite ankle a year prior.


Serena probably had the scare of her 2013 career when she rolled her ankle in today's match. I was surprised how her ankles were tightly taped when her personal physiotherapist cut the almost cast-like bandage to assess the "damage". I thought that I should have known how to wrap my ankles the same way as I already had numerous strains and sprains since I started playing tennis again in 2011. Similarly, Andy Murray have those strappy thingies as well which prevents the ankles from twisting. I thought my new tennis shoes would do the trick as I felt more stable playing with them on but now I feel that I need to strap-up as well.

Anxiety was painted all over Serena's face after the medical time-out but she sure did win even on just one good ankle. I wonder how she will fair in the next rounds.


Before I get ahead of myself and imagine frolicking in the courts again, I need to sort out my shoulder with my physio. It has been about five months now since I last played because of this aching shoulder and I am still in treatment for the fourth month running. With the pace of the treatment I am having, I am hoping to be okay come mid-spring or early summer. If I had my physio in Manila, I would probably have been discharged after 2 months of continuous treatment. But because of the very conservative methods here in UK and the difficulty of getting a treatment slot, the progress has been very slow and I have had flare-ups between session. What can I do? It is free. I do not want to be spending a lot for private physiotherapy. I am not Maria Sharapova anyway, haha.

Sharapova bright in yellow screaming those oohs and aahs!


Speaking of Maria, she had a previous shoulder injury as well and has recently had a collar bone problem. Serena had her share of injuries too and well, Rafa is still recuperating from his knee surgery too. I have not a thread of Maria's skills nor Serena's muscles but if they can re-emerge from a setback, who am I to lose hope that I would never hold that racket again if they, the deities of tennis can do it?

Again, I remind myself that I am no Sharapova.



No comments:

Post a Comment